Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Twitter?

I am still trying to get my mind around the purpose and value of "Tweeting".  As I look over my Twitter Feed, I see one-sentence snippets of conversations.  My instructor, Tom Buckmiller, says that this is like a menu of conversation options-- I just have to decide which conversations to participate in.

Well, now that I can read the menu, I find that I don't know how to order.  How do I get involved in these conversations?  How do I stop and linger in one spot as the tweets wiz by?  There is a way of thinking about it that will resolve these questions... an approach, an attitude or an understanding about Twitter.

I understand the value of "ReTweeting" or RT now.  When you RT, you take what you see in one network that you follow and push it out to your network of followers.  And unlike the game of telephone, the message and its originator do  not get distorted.  

It seems to me that it is not about the flow of tweets it is the network that you build by who you follow.  I appreciate Tom's generosity in sharing his lists of who he follows.  Maybe that will get me started. 

I've been wanting to learn how to use Twitter for about a year.  Now, I have the opportunity because it is part of a class and therefore now on my priority list.

Conclusion:  Twitter is aptly named.

No comments:

Post a Comment