Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fear Causes Cheating

This actually happened.  A teacher in my building took the District Benchmark test-- a district-wide test over the standard curriculum for a core-area class-- and slapped the title, "Practice Test" across the top, made a few minor changes to wording and order of multiple choice options, and handed out copies to all of his students to use as a "study guide" when preparing to take the test.  It did not occur to him that this would be unacceptable and unethical.

Like most schools, our staff (including administrators) have been talking about test scores.  How to raise them, how to close gaps, what to do about them.  North especially has been focused on scores since we had the lowest ITED scores in the entire state in 2010 and that resulted in a complete change in administration at our school. 

One thing we have been very careful to explain is that the test is a way of measuring student achievement-- it is not actually student achievement by itself.  It is just a tool for figuring out where we are and mapping a route to where we want to be.

But somehow that message was lost, at least with this one teacher-- probably more.  We have some teachers in our school who actually believe that they are being evaluated on how students do on tests (benchmarks or other tests).  We have explicitly stated over and over that teachers are absolutely NOT evaluated on student test scores.  But the misconception persists.

My only thought about why this might happen is because of fear.  I notice that when I am talking to a teacher who is especially fearful, that he or she only hears 1/3 to 1/2 of what I actually say.  I spend most of the conversation repeating myself in a variety of ways until I get some indication that they have grasped what I am driving at. And even then, I find that I have to re-engage them in the same conversation for several months before I finally feel I'm being heard. Our staff experienced the entire replacement of the Admin team, some of them gotta be thinking that they might be next.

So what do I do with my teacher and his "practice test"?  Do I make a clear example and cite him in his permanent file?  And if I don't, am I making a making a "JoePa" mistake?  Will the court of public opinion believe that I condone cheating if I don't write this up?

Do I recognize the level of fear this teacher is operating under and work with him to learn other pathways to student achievement?  After all, the district benchmark is a pilot test that isn't fully developed and addresses a scant 6-weeks of the curriculum. 

Suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment