Thursday, November 17, 2011

Year Round School?

Oh yes!  It is so much better for how people actually learn and develop.  But there is that cost...

Why can't we still work have 180 days of school but not have all 11-12 weeks off happen over the summer?  Why not have 6 weeks off in the summer and the other 5 weeks sprinkled throughout the year?  I know I could sure use a break in February. And a week off at Thanksgiving would certainly help my attitude.

Plus for those that would like a little extra pay,  we could offer "intercession" classes for students who would like to spend a week in specialized study.

I am not the first to suggest this.  But such a plan would get my vote in an instant. 

... Looking over all my reasons for the shift in calendar, I only give reasons about why it would be good for me.  Perhaps I need to really examine this proposed solution and study how it might affect students and families before I vote.  *sigh*   Ethics.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica - I do completely agree with you. A different type of calendar would be better for students, and I would also enjoy it. If I had a choice I would vote for this type of calendar. As I am not a parent I do not know how this changes schedules for working parents. This idea needs to be properly examined, but you have my vote for this change!

    ReplyDelete